Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Enough- Pinky Swear

Growing up, I was never the best student. But I really wanted a phone in my room. These days middle schoolers walk around with cell phones but when I was growing up the goal was to have a phone of my own in my bedroom. I made a wager with my parents that if I got on the honor roll for all four semesters, they would allow me to have a phone at the end of the year. Knowing that I had never even come close to the honor roll, they thought it was a safe bet. Not only did I get a phone, I got one after just a single semester because the girl who had never even gotten honor roll got Distinguished Honor Roll.

I work well with goals. Being a type A personality has helped me achieve many of my dreams and often has led me to success. I enjoy pushing myself hard, learning new things and trying to be better.  But what happens when you're always searching and striving for more? When you feel that you can never be satisfied with where you are right now? 



Enough. That's right- enough of the promises to be better, enough of the podcasts on doing more, enough of the books that make it all seem easy. Enough. Because right now, we are enough. Each of us are where we are supposed to be at this very moment. Thich Nhat Hahn tells the story of The Three Questions by Leo Tolstoy. The basic moral of the story is that the most important time is now. The most important person is the one you are currently with and the most important thing you should be doing is what you are doing now.  My natural instinct is to always push for more and while I can keep working hard towards a goal, I need to remember that the most important time is now. 





1 comment:

  1. Lovely words. Yes the incentive has to come from within , from you not some outside expectations.

    ReplyDelete